Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Finally a Treatment Plan!

Two doctors did an exam by way of a scope down Alicia's throat this afternoon. They were getting a better idea of the extent of the problems caused by pressure from her thyroid and were also getting a better look at her heart. There was a concern of "bacteria in her heart". Happily, that test was negative. Everything they've checked on related to her heart has come out very well and no problems have been found there at all. They were fairly sure that her thyroid was the culprit. I pointed out that Alicia has had some breathing issues on and off for over a year now and that no clear diagnosis had been made. They were only treating the symptoms. He said that was even more convincing that they were on the right track. He recommended her thyroid be removed. Her surgeon was very thorough in going over all the possible outcomes and complications. Throughout what he was saying to US Alicia was giving thumbs up. She understood what was going on and was ready to get on with things.

A few of the concerns were that the vocal nerves run right by the thyroid and if one is injured she could have several levels of problems. Another was that her thyroid was so big it could be partially behind her sternum. That would require a much more invasive surgery with a lot more difficult recovery time. There's also the possibility of needing the parathyroid’s removed. There are the usual risks that go along with any surgery and a thyroid surgery. The surgeon told us that there were nodules or cysts on her thyroid and they could be cancerous but they will not know that until they get in there. He was telling us that if he were told he had to have cancer and could pick what kind, it would be in his thyroid. It was easy to remove in that case. To that Alicia gave us another thumbs up and we agreed.

Alicia was very much herself today. Even though she's not able to talk because of her breathing tube she gave us a smile several times. When our little sister, Shawna, went in to tell her good bye before driving back home... Alicia finger spelled (sign language)"drive safe". She's been finger spelling to us since then. Mom and I aren't as fluent as Shawna but we get there eventually. She has to nod yes or no to tell us if we're right. Also, when her young, very nice looking surgeon left I told her "He's cute". He came back in for just a second and when he left Alicia spelled "cute". She's been through so much and still has her beautiful sense of humor and is worrying about us. She'd also spelled out to Mom and I that we didn't need to stay. Silly girl. I will update after her surgery tomorrow.

Thank you for your prayers!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you created this site for us! I had been keeping up via Shauna but this is great also!!! I hope things continue on the right path for Alicia. Please tell her Julio says hello and get better!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear some positive. Hopefully once her surgery and treatment plan is in place, she will get better very quickly. You all continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Oh, and I am sending some Deep Woods (or Gypsy) Off to the hospital stat ;0)

    ReplyDelete